5 Tips for Exercise Motivation
Here we will take a look at 5 quick tips to spur your motivation and get you excited to start moving more.
Sometimes it is hard to find the motivation to leave your comfort zone and exercise. It can be hard to motivate yourself sometimes, especially if you are feeling lethargic. However, there are some tips and tricks to help you motivate yourself so that you can start to exercise regularly and experience the benefits of exercise.
- Start off small – starting with small amounts of exercise is a great way to start. It can help to improve your confidence and is a great way to start building your fitness so you can tackle bigger workouts when you feel comfortable.
- Use triggers – using reminders so that you remember to exercise can help you to start. There are many ways you can do this, from setting alarms on your phone, to leaving your trainers by the door. Find what works best for you!
- Find something you enjoy! – Exercise doesn’t have to be a chore. Find a method of exercise that you enjoy, so that you look forward to it. Alternatively, you can find ways to make some forms of exercise more fun, such as creating games or tasks that you can do along the way.
- Think of the rewards – there are two ways that this can be done. Firstly, exercising has many benefits to your physical and mental health, so you can think of these as the long term rewards that you will get from exercising. However to reward yourself in the short term, you can give yourself a small reward after you exercise, or after you reach a certain goal so that you can celebrate your accomplishment.
- Accountability – it can be easy sometimes to tell yourself you’re going to exercise and then not follow through. However, telling somebody you are going to exercise and even getting them to check on you to make sure you do it, can be a big help in motivating you to exercise.
There are other ways to motivate yourself for exercise. Everybody works differently, so if the tips above don’t always work for you, don’t worry. Try these tips below:
- Select comfortable workout clothes – If you are uncomfortable whilst working out, it will be harder to motivate yourself the next time you workout. However choosing comfortable clothes will make it much easier for you to exercise, which will help to motivate you.
- Don’t over-train – It is important that you start off slowly and gradually increase the duration and intensity of your workouts. Training too hard too fast not only increases the risk of injury, but if you cannot meet the high expectations you are setting yourself, you will feel demotivated.
- Get an exercise training plan – having a set plan you can stick to can be really useful. You will have a daily goal, even if it is just to rest, and you will be able to start your day knowing what you intend to achieve.
- Find an exercise role model – find a role model that inspires you to work out. This can be a person who is close to your heart, especially if you are raising money for charity whilst exercising. However, if you are just looking to get fit or improve your body image then surround yourself with reminders of people who you aspire to be like.
- Record your progress – recording your progress can help motivate you when you see how well you have done so far! This can be done by keeping a diary or blog, or even by taking pictures of yourself so that you can see the benefits that exercise is having on your body.
- Get an activity tracking device – having a device that tracks your activity, such as the number of steps taken, can help you to reach your goals and be a reminder of your current progress. It can also help you to try and beat a previous performance.
- Buy some new training gear – getting kitted out in training gear can make you look the part and feel fantastic which can help you to feel motivated to work out.